About Me

Sugar Land, Texas, United States
People say it all the time...what you see is what you get, but its not true all the time. I am a complicated melody, and I don't think that people hear my tune all the time. Its pleasing to the ear, but can be interpreted in many ways. Turn the volume up, but not too loud because you might not be able to hear me over the music...

Sunday, November 9, 2008

So We Had a House Warming

I think I often times find it therapeutic to write, otherwise I think I would be a bitter and unhappy person. So where do I begin with this weeks' series of debacles?

We decided to have a house warming/ gathering. It was cool. As usual I stressed myself out, but I had a good time and I think that other people had a good time as well. Toward the end of the evening as things a winding down, there is still so much going on. My best friend is drunk off his a** and I am extremely embarrassed, pissed off and enraged, but we'll come back to this story.

There was something that deflated my spirit and actually hurt my feelings quite a bit. As we all sit engaging in conversation, I hear a ringtone with the "Sweet Mother" tune (if you are Nigerian you know exactly what song I am referring too). So when I hear this song, and express that the song is my "jam", the owner of the ringtone asks me how I knew what the song was. Here begins the my downward spiral. I proceed to inform him of my Nigerian heritage, which is soon followed by a look of shock and disbelief from the guy. This has been happening consistently for the past month and some change. Every time I mention anything that has to do with the only culture that I have ever identified with, I am met with looks of shock and disbelief.

I know you are asking why this is a big deal. Its a big deal because my Nigerian culture is who I am, it is the very fabric of my being, and it is the only thing I know. Now for the one thing that you hold dear to come into question from on a constant basis, its like telling a man he's not a man. It strips me and leaves me with nothing. I am just expressing my annoyance with the whole situation, then with my roommate constantly reiterating the fact that I sound or look a certain way has also be come the bane of my existence.

Outside of the my drunk best friend and my lack of Nigerian-ness according to some, the gathering was a success, I think people over all had a good time and that is all that matters right?

No comments: